Sunday, June 2, 2013

Packing, again

Given my frequent moving for the last 14 years or so, I've basically come to associate the end of the academic year with packing and moving.  Even in years when I've been coming back to the same apartment in the Fall, I've been working another job, in another city, another country for the Summer, so more packing.  Now we are packing yet again, hopefully to be moved in before baby arrives (two more weeks, inshallah . . . )

The main difference this time is that we bought a house, as we like our location and I like my job, and so we aren't planning to move for several years at the least, something that is both exhilarating and scary.  On the one hand, it is exciting to be able to convert the garage into a dance studio, paint the walls whatever color I like, and not evaluate every purchase I make on its potential for moving in the future.  On the other hand, there is the mortgage and being responsible for a house.  Yikes!

In terms of packing, the new and old places are only ten minutes apart, so we can move gradually (i.e. no countries or oceans to cross), which is also pretty exciting.  A carload a day, a day of moving furniture, and we're more or less done in a week.  The cats will no doubt be excited as well, especially when they discover how much more room for adventures they will have in the house.

So back to packing, but hopefully the last packing for a good long while!

9 comments:

  1. Although I did not buy, I am also moving half a mile from where I currently live, to a much nicer place. I also payed rent for half a month in June in the new place in order to be able to move at a slower pace. It's worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new house! Hope you get settled just in time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be a hassle yet a fun thing to pack and move out, but it gets a bit tiring if done often. Well, it's good that you have finally found your dream job and location. Nevertheless, keep posting your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! What a great writing, really I appreciate such kind of topics. I am very happy to get this post and comment here. thank you. movers and packers marathahalli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sydney City Removalists … moving home in Sydney has never been easier visit our website Sydney City Removalists - Reliable and Affordable Home & Office Furniture Removalists Sydney Professional and Reliable Sydney Removalists. No Travel Time or Call out fees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Packing and unpacking can take hours and days but it's worth it to stop items from breaking. keep posting.

    ReplyDelete