Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Unreality, or I have a job

After a marathon campus visit/conference tour (traveling 16/19 days, including overseas) I got a job offer from my last visit as I was switching planes to finally make it home.  It is tenure track, at a public R1 in a state I'd never been to, and don't know much about, but seems like a very interesting place to live.

The next day, my dissertation draft went to my committee.  Now, with no el-wa7sh eating at my brain and no job market destroying my nerves, I am at a loss for what to do with myself.  Suddenly, everything is over.  It is unreal.

Even better, when I walked into class today my students were working on composing a sentence on the board using el-maf3uul el-muTlaq (a complicated, yet wonderful grammar point) to express how much they wanted to sleep.  The student writing it got the grammar wrong, and another student corrected, and a discussion of Arabic grammar ensued.  I was delighted.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! Book a massage, spend a day at a spa, research about the new state you'll be living, and read at least one novel for pleasure.
    Can you give as a clue as to the state you'll be living in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's this: It would be the ideal state to live in if I knew Spanish and wanted really crazy neighbors across several state lines. But hopefully less crazy in my new state. I'm especially excited about the Spanish part, as being somewhere that is multilingual always makes me happy, even if I don't understand the languages.

      Delete
  2. Alf mabruuk ya ukhti!! What fabulous news!

    This occasion very clearly calls for karkaday margaritas. Tell Husband to get on that, stat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alf mabruk, indeed! That is such awesome news. So very happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats that your dream came true. Don't get deaf like I almost am living with loud Latinos. Have a great one

    ReplyDelete