Saturday, December 31, 2011

Holiday Baking, Pie Edition

Pie is an extremely important holiday tradition in my family.  For Christmas, we have pie for breakfast, which growing up my siblings and I understood to be a tradition passed down from my father's family.  Then we mentioned this tradition to my aunt, who stated that they did no such thing.  So apparently my father just likes eating pie for breakfast, and told us it was tradition as an excuse.  Or possibly we finished baking the pies too late to eat them on Christmas Eve one year, and moved them to breakfast.  Either way, it is an excellent tradition.



This year, we had cherry, apple, and cranberry-apple pies (a cherry and apple are above).  I add brown sugar and cinnamon to my pie crust, which may interfere with the flakiness, but is much tastier that they standard flour, butter, water combination.  My husband and I did a repeat of the cherry pie for New Years, and will be testing it shortly.  And yes, cherry pie must have a cute little cat on it, and no, it is not at all easy to sculpt whiskers out of pie dough!

3 comments:

  1. Yum!! The cherry and the cranberry apple pies sound scrumptious. Do you have any particular various recipies that you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, we used to get to eat for breakfast whatever dessert my mom served at grown up events the night before! I actually looked forward to her bridge nights

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cranberry apple is from Cooks Illustrated. The cherry is as follows:
    Mix together:

    10 t. cornstarch
    2/3-1 C. sugar
    1/4 C. flour
    1/2 t. cinnamon

    Add to three cans tart cherries in water

    Put in pie crust and dot with 1-2 T butter

    Cook at 450 10 mins, then 350 35-45 mins

    ReplyDelete