Friday, June 17, 2011

Planning and Planning

One of my friends is defending her dissertation at 6:30 AM (yes, you read that correctly) due to the difficulties of scheduling a summer defense when faculty do not have to be around.  Her committee is almost identical to mine, and I most certainly do not want to defend at 6:30 am, so I decided I should make a month by month plan to see if I could actually finish a first draft by December 31, which would put me on track to defend in May.

The good news is that this is theoretically possible, but it would be nice if I had some time while teaching to work on my dissertation.  Given that teaching an intensive summer course in Summer town requires about 10 hours of work a day, and I need breaks to dance and eat, this seems unlikely.  I also can't really bring myself to complain about the 10 hours of work a day, because I love this program.  I get to teach in 3amiyya! I also have a great group of students.  We did mid-term evaluations.  Their complaint? We don't make them correct all of their homework in the summer like they do in the academic year.  So, despite the fact that they are in class for 4-5 hours a day and have 4-5 hours of homework a night, they still want more because correcting their homework makes them learn.  How cool is that? Or is it crazy? mish 3arfa.

However, my dissertation plan means that I really need to squeeze in, somewhere, an hour a day of dissertation time.  Preferably at a time when my brain is actually functioning as opposed to late at night when I finish prepping grading and can only really handle reading a few blog posts before bed.  Or I could just put it all off till I finish this class (a mere three weeks away) but that's one of those slippery slopes . . .

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh hard question. I'd do bits of the thesis everyday but bits such as formatting, inserting images and the like and leaving writing for when you've finished teaching.

    ReplyDelete