Monday, June 13, 2011

Dabkeh and Dress Up

As my contribution to the cultural events program this summer, I taught a dabkeh class today.  Dabkeh is probably my second most beloved type of dance (after my folk dancing of course) so this was quite fun.  We started with the traditional circle movements and then moved onto choreography, which is more complicated, but also more fun.  To bring things back down, we ended with modern party dabkeh (my terminology) improvising to a song frequently played at 7aflat (unlike the more traditional music I was using).  For those of you not familiar with the wonders of dabkeh, here is a group doing a choreography to one of the songs I used today with a different choreography.  If you are still curious, I invite you to explore the wonders of Youtube.



After dabkeh class, I was talking to some of my students about learning language/dance, and they revealed that they thought I was about 23.  My jaw dropped, as not only will I be 30 in a month, but I have been working very hard to dress up and wear make up in order to look older, which are not things I typically do.  Apparently, these efforts have been in vain.  So, do I continue the effort, or return to my normal state of affairs? Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment