Monday, April 25, 2011

Week of Decisions

Yesterday, I got a revise and resubmit from a top journal in my field, which is exciting.  Although it is difficult to address reviewer comments when one says X is awesome, Y is weak, and the other says Y is excellent, X has no place in this article.  Hmmmm.  Today, I got rejected from a not-so-good conference that I've always been accepted at before, which is highly annoying because I think the difference was that I submitted as a part of a panel, not a paper, and I was a little skeptical about the panel thing.  I also had an interview for a really cool fellowship that will help my research and teaching next year, and they will be deciding by the end of the week.  So many decisions in one week!

Transcription plods along.  Then 10/10 rule is working, but it is so slow.  Unpacking is torture.  Why weren't ebooks invented earlier? I have so many books . . . and of course I still want more.  Luckily, this time I was smart enough to move into the good public library district though.

I am supposed to be making a dissertation timeline in order to finish next year.  I am not sure what this entails exactly, but I think it means I need to stop spending time on the internet and spend it writing.  I think it would also be helpful to blog on my dissertation, but that would make me quite identifiable, as I am pretty much the only person who studies this topic in this way.  Ah, more decisions!

3 comments:

  1. That is exactly what happened to my first article. :-) Sometimes, it feels like they are doing it on purpose. So I just made some cosmetic changes and resubmitted it.

    I remember that they also asked me to include some theory of race because the article had to do with a Jewish character in a Spanish novel. It was quite surprising to discover from my reviewers that I was suddenly from a different race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the R&R! Is it reasonable to split the difference between the two perspectives, or does the nature of the material force you to pick one route or another? Either way, I'm envious: my own submitted article is still in some editorial limbo. (Four-week editorial response, like hell!)

    Lots of luck with the fellowship, too. All this good stuff should further energize you for transcription! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice all--I'm currently working out some cosmetic changes that look like I made some substantial ones, and incorporating a lot of the good and useful comments. Dr. Koshary, I submitted this article seven months ago--it's not so speedy.

    ReplyDelete