Sunday, December 5, 2010

Surprisingly Satisfactory

I had to catch an early morning train to medinatelba7r today, which of course meant I didn't sleep much last night as I was stressed out about oversleeping and missing the train.  This is pretty normal when I catch an early train, but usually I can sleep on the train.  This time, however, my stomach stressball was so active that I couldn't sleep, all I could think about was how I'm so close to the end of Phase Three, but have so much left to accomplish in it, will I really be able to pull it all off? Then I went straight from the train station into interviews on not enough caffeine, and my digital recorder refused to work.

After these difficulties though, things went surprisingly well.  I had an extra recorder, my participants didn't cancel, and I have my schedule figured out for almost the entire rest of Phase 3 (Yes, it is 100% likely to change.  But still, it satisfies my planning anxiety to have something).

I also finished my conference powerpoint, and sent it off.  The talk I'm giving at this conference is based on the preliminary results of data I collected last year, and I shared some of it with some of my participants today.  They were really excited about it, and that made me feel really good, because I felt like someone really cared about my research (other than me) and that it does contribute to something other than my personal academic career and the knowledge of other academics.  If I can help change what I'm researching for the better, then the personal stress is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment