Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chop and dye?

Now that the end is in sight and I'm not permanently stressed out about Phase 3 of my research, my mind is free to worry about other things, most recently my hair.  My hair is very long (to my waist) primarily because I am lazy and hate getting my hair cut, although I don't mind trimming it at home.  I usually wear it in a French braid or bun which keeps it out of the way.

However, every 3-4 years I get sick of it being so long and chop it all off.  I'm at this point now, particularly as the highly chlorinated water in baladelba7th makes the ends really dry no matter how much conditioner and oil I use.  I used to donate it to Locks of Love, but then I found out they were kind of a shady and disorganized organization.  If I'm not donating it anywhere of course, I could just chop off 6-8 inches rather than 11-13.  Perhaps moderation is the way to go.

Then there is the issue of dying it.  My life in baladelba7th would be infinitely easier if I had darker hair.  However, I have a number of concerns with dying my hair darker.  First and foremost is that my eyebrows and eyelashes are so light they are pretty much invisible.  This is okay with light hair, but I think would look freaky with dark hair.  So I would either have to dye them, which means scary chemicals next to my eyes, or wear makeup all the time, which I know will never happen, even if it is to prevent me from looking freaky.  I'd also have to actually reapply it throughout the day, and that is even less likely to happen.  The second problem with dying my hair is that I'm pretty sure having light roots will make me look like I'm going bald.  And if I can't handle going to the salon every two months or so, I'm definitely going to have a lot of roots showing. Then there is the whole issue of returning to my original hair color, which would require more dying and then the patience to have it grow out.

Yet if I'm going to do it, it's now or never, as there's no point in dying my hair at home, and I'll only be in baladelba7th for another six months.  Decisions, decisions.

 

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you'd look super-freaky with dark hair! I just can't see it. Maybe go for a redhead look? It seems to work like gangbusters for Amy Adams and Christina Hendricks, who are naturally blonde. (Although I admit that I'm not entirely taken with either one of them, albeit for reasons having nothing to do with their hair.) Pick the right shade, and it could be more forgiving as you grow out your natural color.

    Surely there is some place in baladelba7th that would pay you for your hair to make a nice wig. With the money you earn, you can buy your husband a watch fob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well being a redhead would not really solve the baSbaSa problems resulting from being faroulablonde in baladelba7th. Selling my hair on the other hand, that might not be a bad idea, I've actually had offers from wigmakers at home. Of course, that wouldn't really solve my problem here either. That is also one of my least favorite stories of all time.

    ReplyDelete