Sunday, December 19, 2010

Aching Calves

I did manage to practice my folk dance in the gym today, and realized that the toll of the last few weeks of research means that I am woefully out of shape.  This evening I went to the local dance studio for a hiphop class followed by a private lesson in a folk dance other than my own.  I really like this type of folk dance; it's kind of like mine, but requires less cardio and strength (at least at my level).  It's also much more compatible with my language interests, and the music is more interesting.  Yet, I just can't see it replacing my folk dance.  Adding maybe, but it could never be a full substitute.

However, the long and the short of the matter is that after a two week hiatus, I danced for three hours.  New and old folk dancing is jumping intensive (probably why I like it) but now my calves are complaining.  Tomorrow, no doubt, my achilles will take the lead, relegating my sore calves to a supporting role.

But, the tight stressball in my stomach that has been constantly with me this semester is quiet.  As is the tightness in my shoulders from hunching over a computer or my Ipod all day (new folk dance involves a lot of shoulder shaking).  I know that dance is the only cure for the stressball, but it's so hard to schedule in when my schedule is crazy and unpredictable.  There are only certain hours when the aerobics room at the gym is free.  If I sign up for a dance class at night, it's likely I will only be able to make a quarter of the classes per month due to meeting participants, and dance classes are not that cheap.  Dancing in my apartment, or the apartment I stay in in medinatelba7r, can be done occasionally, but doing lots of jumping on hard tile floors is a sure recipe for achilles disaster, as well as annoying the downstairs neighbors.

Yet, if I want to make it through the rest of my fieldwork without developing some sort of stressball condition, I am going to have to figure out a way to dance more.  The trick is, how?

No comments:

Post a Comment