Tuesday, November 23, 2010

One of those weeks

Despite two cups of cardamom-cinnamon-clove coffee topped off with gamoosa milk I was still feeling pretty groggy as I tried to squeeze in some data processing before leaving for fieldwork.  My cats were tearing around like little terrors, neglecting to take into account the fact that my apartment is not big enough for such activities.  It is big enough for a cat to reach full acceleration, but at this point the cat will be dangerously close to running into the wall. Legend has it that cats are smart creatures, who do not do stupid things like running headfirst into a wall.  My experience suggests otherwise.  It is also very difficult to do anything productive in the presence of wall-bouncing cats.  They settled down only as I was about to leave, and the lapcat went into lap mode just as I wanted to get up from my computer, pack my lunch and head out the door.  I poked him, prodded him, he sunk deeper into my lap and started to purr.  It occurred to me that life would be much more pleasant if I had chosen to do my fieldwork on snuggling with cats.

I realized I was late, and dumped lapcat unceremoniously into my chair.  My foggy brain tried to recall what exactly it was that I needed to take with me.  Ah yes, lunch.  I headed to the freezer to get some bread for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Instead, I pulled out the ice tray and had dumped three ice cubes into my standard drink glass before I realized what I was doing.

I think it is shaping up to be one of those weeks.

2 comments:

  1. When I started reading the post, I got so stuck on the description of that delicious "cardamom-cinnamon-clove coffee topped off with gamoosa milk " that I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not sure about the widespread availability of gamoosa milk, but the cardamom-cinnamon-clove part is easy to reproduce--just grind it with the beans or put the ground versions in with the ground coffee. It's particularly useful when the coffee quality is less than excellent.

    ReplyDelete