Thursday, November 25, 2010

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse

The day started out promising, decent train ride, good field notes, and the promise of a tasty American Thanksgiving dinner at the end.  Then, as I got out of the cab to head to the dinner, I realized I didn't have my wallet.  It was nowhere in my bag.  It was in my bag on the the public transportation I was on.  Yes, I was pickpocketed on the public transportation system in medinat el-ba7r.  This sucks under any circumstances, but it is particularly crappy when:

  1. You are overseas and can't just get replacement cards mailed right away or go replace your ID cards

  2. You never carry around large amounts of money, but today you had just gone to the ATM and taken out $350

  3. Your wallet contains your train ticket home

  4. Your wallet contains your flash drive

  5. Your wallet contains other tickets and receipts you're supposed to submit for your grant

  6. Your wallet contains unused bus and metro tickets

  7. Your wallet contains your keys

  8. Your wallet contains your gym combination lock

  9. You can't enjoy the tasty dinner you've been looking forward to all week because you are upset about all of the above


So probably I carry too much stuff in my wallet.  Also, it could have been worse (ie stealing my Ipod with those precious field notes, bodily injury, etc.).  But what a way to ruin my week!

Update: In writing this I forgot to mention that the reason I was susceptible to pickpocketing was that I had my bag open because I was constantly pulling out my Ipod for the good field notes . . . oh the perils of research!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry! I know that sick feeling after something bad happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so horrible! I'm very sorry it had to happen to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks; I'm sorry to hear it, although I'm glad it wasn't worse. It's kind of amazing, actually, that they didn't think to snatch your iPod, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, every urban commuters' nightmare. D:

    At least they didn't get your iPod. I live in terror of lost data, especially since my computer is refusing to back up lately...

    ReplyDelete